Tuesday, January 7

embracing the current

I feel I've gone over it a dozen times in my head but it's something I must share here as well.
I am immensely grateful for the, dare I say, blessed 2013 I had.
I started a nice, new little job, had so many wonderful adventures with my Mark-- our wild goose chase for the wildflower fields in the Figueroa mountains {maybe this year?!}, seeing some of our favorite comedians live, and little road trips and mini hikes.

In the spring I did something so unplanned and unlike me I took myself by surprise. I, for the first time in my 21 years, embraced fitness and discipline in diet. It was a whole new world, let me tell ya. I learned to see food in a totally new light by just watching what I ate. I even went running with M a couple of times and visited... the gym. Really a big deal for me-- they're just not my thing, the atmosphere I mean. Points for trying nonetheless.


{ my mom took me by total surprise and planted tomatoes! to attest to my gardening expertise-- one morning, for some reason I can't remember, I had to dump some boiling water outside and thought the sprouting tomato leaves were weeds and targeted them... killed a few but we had plenty survivors. I felt so guilty I lovingly tended our mini garden every morning after }


In the summer I enjoyed tons of tanning and swimming with my other best friend, my best woman, Fizz {by now I can't recall how I came up with that ridic nickname}. Mark landed an awesome internship and travelled to Chicago for a concrete canoe national competition {yeah, concrete floating. I don't know either, it's a civil engineer thing}. Though he went to support the 2013 team, this year he's going with his own team. It's crazy how dedicated they are; I'm excited to see them win! Go Mustangs 2014 Concrete Canoe team!
That's enough.
There were bonfires and there was the stolen purse shpiel, now I don't think I mentioned in the last post or if it had happened yet, but the purse was found and returned to me! A town away! Thank you, Pismo PD because that was/is my go-to purse, it goes with everything in my wardrobe and was a gift from Fizz.
We had such sweet walks every other night my gent and I. A small detail to recall of the entire year but I love to reminisce. Walking hand in hand, having conversations about it all, the most perfect breeze swaying my dresses, my hair poof smelling of chlorine from band-aid infested city pools, and coming back to fruity Jamba Juice blended drinks with a kick and then some. ;)
Before summer ended Mark and I saw Tim McGraw and Kip Moore and it was indescribably amazing. Perhaps my favorite day out of the year, if I had to pick. I'd relive it a hundred times.
A dreamy summer altogether.
I did mean to get to posting before the year was up, but better late than never-- some of these 2013 adventures will still be posted.


{ i just gotta say, it seems like general rule that if you're taking the picture then the other person better hope they put on their best face 'cause c'mon, 
i'm not sacrificing a good shot of me on my device. i know i always keep this in mind because he who
controls the power over the delete button controls you }

In the fall I had an aerobics class that just made me realize how much I love that sort of thing, working out in a group and whatnot-- made me embrace fitness all the more. I might even enroll in a gym class like it this year, it was that fun! Might; don't hold me to it {still stuck in my stubborn ways].
Those workouts and an awesomely cheerful instructor definitely helped with the stress and drama of buying my first car. Earning something you worked pretty hard for and 100% you, there's really not many feelings like it. Just a week after I bought my car {still unnamed, but I mean Jetta is a cute one anyway} Mark was in a wreck-- Honda totaled. That little Civic took him through it all and went down to it's last legs; it also saved his life, he was thankfully all O.K. Still the scariest voicemail I've listened to in my life, goodness knows how I would've reacted had I answered that 1am call.
I felt all the wise reminding him of my post; 

"I'm going to subtly try to wedge in a new life motto-- always be ready to part with physical possessions. A phone, wallet, car; none of that is life defining and I want to always be okay with or without any of those things as long as I've love and health."

Rare when your own advice comes in useful, innit? 
But I'm the best girlfriend so naturally I handed over my still-cold-to-my-touch keys to him so that he could commute 'till he found a {luxuriously handsome} car, something a workaholic like him deserves. ;)


{ tried to fix the red-eye, tried. }

Thinking of it now, it seems as if for every malicious event that happened to me/us in the year, we were rewarded with something even better for enduring strongly through it-- something much too hard to do without a loved one to prop and support you.

That being the only mishap of the season, the holidays were great. I did my best to spoil all my loved ones with gifts and that I did, being a giver rewards me with all the joy I could want, as I'm already surrounded by best people I could ask for.

I appreciate this all the more because none of it was planned, I didn't set any goals or resolutions; it all just happened.

I am beyond thankful for the blessings of 2013 and I hope this year is as amazing as expected-- well, we'll do a little more than just hope. 

With these words I begin another year, they might just get me through.

Happy new year, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment